The Fulbright Junior Staff Development (JSD) Program
Application cycle 2014 - 2015 opens January 18, 2013.
Deadline will be June 1, 2013. Only successful candidates will be called for interviews scheduled for Mid June/July.
The Embassy of the United States in Dar es Salaam has the pleasure to announce the 2014-2015 Fulbright Junior Staff Development Program and to invite applications from qualified candidates.
The Fulbright Junior Staff Development (JSD) Program is the largest Fulbright program with Africa and provides financial assistance for a maximum of two years of study toward a graduate degree in a U.S. university or for participation in a non-degree research or nonacademic professional program. It is designed primarily to strengthen African universities through higher degree training for faculty members. Applications are also accepted from prospective candidates in public and private educational and cultural institutions, independent research institutes, and professional institutions.
The JSD program is open to any qualified candidate but strongly encourages the inclusion of female candidates and prefers candidates who have not had extensive recent experience in the United States. Recent (within three years) recipients of Fulbright grants are not eligible to apply, and it should be emphasized that funding is for a maximum period of two years only. It is important to note that doctoral degree candidates will typically need to secure additional funding to complete their course of study.
- Applicants must be citizens of Tanzania or permanent residents qualified to hold a valid passport issued by Tanzania.
- Applicants must have a record of outstanding academic achievement and preparation in their chosen field of study. They must show high motivation and serious commitment to completing the program and to returning home.
- Applicants should either be candidates for an advanced degree in their current field or for a specialized non-degree program in a field for which they are well prepared. Applicants who wish to pursue study in a field other than their current field of study must demonstrate adequate background in that field.
- Applicants must be affiliated with or committed to working at an academic institution or a public or private institution in Tanzania upon return, and should have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Applicants must have a sufficiently high level of English proficiency to enable them to complete a full-time program of graduate study in the United States.
In Tanzania, the Fulbright Junior Staff Development Program is administered by the U.S. Embassy's Public Affairs Section, which nominates candidates to the Fulbright Scholarship Board in Washington, DC. The Fulbright Scholarship Board makes the final selection of candidates. In order for the Embassy to complete the nomination process before the deadline date for submission, we urge aspiring candidates to submit their applications to the Embassy by June 1, 2013; applications received after this date will not be considered.
All application forms must be typed or prepared electronically, on-line application is preferred: hand-written applications will not be accepted. Candidates must submit completed application forms, academic transcripts, and three confidential letters of reference. Please note that only those short-listed for final consideration will be called for a panel interview. Only finalists will be required to submit their medical history, supplemental forms and complete standardized English and Graduate Record Exam tests.
The online application utility can be found on the internet at https://apply.embark.com/student/fulbright/international/20/
Applications should be submitted to:
Fulbright Program Officer
Fulbright JSD Program
Office of Public Affairs, American Embassy,
686 Old Bagamoyo Road, Msasani,
P.O. Box 9123, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania,
or by e-mail to email@example.com,
Tel: 022 2294000
or via the online application process.
Referrers should be directed to mail or deliver the letter of reference directly to the Fulbright Program Officer.