Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa in Tanzania
Please read through the procedure below carefully and note that all visa fees are non-refundable.
All visa applicants, except those listed below, must apply for their visa by visiting this website or through the assistance of a new call center at +255-22-2194300 (in Tanzania), +1-703-249-4600 (in the United States), or using Skype ID: usvisatanzania.
If you have travelled to the U.S. before, you may not need a visa interview. Please review this procedure to see if you are eligible for the "frequent traveler" program.
For further questions regarding nonimmigrant visas, you may email us at DRSNIV@state.gov.
- Diplomats, Officials, and other travelers traveling to the U.S. on official business for their Government, United Nations and its agencies, or the World Bank - please follow the procedure here. Holders of non-Tanzanian diplomatic passports currently accredited to Tanzania and Tanzanian diplomats currently posted abroad are exempt from paying visa fees for all types of visas. Tanzania diplomatic and official passport holders currently working in Tanzania are not charged for official visas, but are required to pay the $160 non-refundable visa application fee and reciprocal issuance fees, if applicable, for all non-official visas.
- To request a visa appointment, you may send an email request to DRSNIV@state.gov.
- Diplomatic passport-holders traveling to the U.S. for personal business/tourism travel - please follow the procedure here by scrolling down to the topic, "Procedure for Diplomatic passport-holders traveling to the U.S. for personal business/tourism travel."
- Exchange Visitors officially sponsored by the U.S. Government - please follow the procedure here by scrolling down to the topic, "Procedure for Exchange Visitors officially sponsored by the U.S. Government." To find out if you are exempt from paying the MRV fee, scan a copy of your DS-2019 and send it to DRSNIV@state.gov. If you are exempt, consular staff will assist you by making a visa appointment. All others must pay the MRV fee and schedule an appointment online.
These are the steps you must complete in order to schedule an interview:
(These steps are also listed on this website.)
- Complete the DS-160 online (see more instructions below).
- Submit the application electronically.
- Print out the confirmation page with the bar code.
- Review the fee payment options.
- Print the payment instructions (either Citibank or Airtel).
- Pay the fee.
- Wait 4 – 6 hours for the data to replicate.
- Go back online to schedule an appointment.
- Input the MRV i.d. number from the MRV fee receipt.
- Select an appointment that is convenient for you.
- (Note, if you pay on a Friday, a holiday, or a weekend, you must wait until the next business day (Mon-Fri) for the data to replicate.
The biographical information on the DS-160 must match the biographical information in your passport exactly. For example, if your "Passport No/Namba ya Pasipoti" is AB123456 enter AB123456 on the DS-160's "Passport Number" field. Do not add a space between the letters and the numbers. Also, each name that appears in the "Given Names/Jina" field of your passport, must appear in the "Given Names" field of the DS-160. If an applicant submits an incomplete or inaccurate DS-160, the applicant will not be interviewed. The applicant will need to complete the application and schedule a new appointment date.
The Consular Officer did not interview me, because the information on my DS-160 (CEAC) was incorrect.; What do I do?
- Most importantly, do NOT start a new application. You must edit your current application only.
- Go to the DS-160 homepage.
- Scroll down and click "Start Application".
- At Step 1, select "Dar es Salaam, Tanzania".
- At Step 2, select "Option 3-Retrieve Incomplete Application".
- Enter your "Application ID".
- Now correct all the information that was incorrect on your original submission. You must review the entire application to make sure it contains no additional errors.
- Go to the end of the application, submit the electronic signature, and print the new confirmation sheet.
- Now schedule a new appointment online.
Rescheduling an Appointment
If you need to change or cancel your appointment, you must visit this website. The Embassy cannot change appointment dates.
Picking up your Non-Immigrant Visa
If you qualify for a visa, the Embassy makes every attempt to issue the visa the following day, but administrative and processing delays may occur. For this reason, the Embassy requests applicants schedule their appointments well in advance of any proposed travel to the U.S.
Passport and visa pass back occurs only on Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:00-2:30 pm and Fridays from 9:00-9:30 am. The Embassy cannot issue a visa on the same day as the interview.
Applicants are not guaranteed to receive a visa to travel to the U.S. Therefore, applicants should not book non-refundable travel reservations prior to the receipt of their visa.
Attempting to obtain a visa or entry to the United States by presenting false documents or misrepresenting the facts is fraud and will result in the permanent refusal of a visa. Fraud may be reported to the Tanzanian police.
Parking at the Embassy
The U.S. Embassy in Dar Es Salaam does not provide parking facilities to members of the public seeking consular services. The Embassy strongly recommends that those seeking consular services plan to utilize public parking, arrive by taxi, or use the passenger drop-off point located in front of the consular entrance to the Embassy compound.